“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”- G.K. Chesterton
If you’re living in the US, or if you’re a citizen of the US, a very happy Thanksgiving to you! Before we begin today, please take a moment to watch the following video featuring comedian Louis C.K.
I absolutely love the point he is making here — namely, everything is amazing and nobody is happy. We’re surrounded by marvels, and we look at them through a telescope backwards – making them seem more remote. It shouldn’t be that way.
A frank assessment
Have you suffered a blow to the head?
Here’s my list
- Health – I thank God for the health I have. About ten years ago I injured my back body surfing. Since then I’ve avoided surgery while getting stronger and more flexible. There are certain sports I have to avoid from now on, but I am thankful for all I can do.
- Family – I thank God for the family I have. For the values and resilience I learned, for the love I’ve received, and for the challenges I’ve overcome, I give thanks.
- Work – I thank God for the education, skills and experience I’ve acquired through the course of my life — and for the opportunity to use them to provide for my family — I give thanks.
- Leisure – I thank God for the instruments and the talent He has entrusted to me, and for the time He has given me to devote to making music.
- A Platform – I thank God for the ability and the will He has given me to communicate these thoughts to you, and I give Him thanks for those of you who take the time to read and to respond.
- Church – I thank God for the joy of being part of a healthy, well-balanced church, and for the opportunity to participate in its leadership. I thank Him for the freedom to proclaim and to serve and to make a difference in our community and in other countries.
- Technology – I thank God for the ingenuity that has improved and extended our lives. Fairly often, I read about a new invention or learn about a new medical treatment and I think, “What a time to be alive!” From iPhones to cures for certain types of cancer, there is no better time than now for human flourishing.
- The Future – I thank God that in my worst circumstances, He gets the last word. No matter how dire the diagnosis, how uncertain the market, or how hostile the ruling regime, I can trust my Heavenly Father to work every circumstance out for my good and His glory.
Even when it’s hard
One more thought
So how about you? In the midst of your challenges and frustrations, what are the aspects of your life for which you can thank God? Add your comments below.