“The increasing complexity and precariousness of our economic life have forced Government to take over many spheres of activity once left to choice or chance. Our intellectuals have surrendered first to the slave-philosophy of Hegel, then to Marx, finally to the linguistic analysts.”
– C. S. Lewis from “Willing Slaves of the Welfare State”
Last fall, David Horowitz’s FrontPage Mag published an article by Mallory Millett titled “Marxist Feminism’s Ruined Lives.” The article described what Millett saw as a young divorcée in the 1960’s at the birth of the modern (second-wave) feminist movement, and the toll it took on her and others. Millett’s older sister Kate Millett was one of the key figures in the movement — Kate Millett and her book Sexual Politics deserve full credit for helping spawn women’s studies programs in nearly every American university.
The unholy litany
In her article, Mallory Millett describes a meeting she attended with her sister — a Marxist consciousness-raising event that included a call-and-response chant between the leader and those in attendance. According to (Mallory) Millett, it went like this:
“‘Why are we here today?” she asked.
“To make revolution,” they answered.
“What kind of revolution?” she replied.
“The Cultural Revolution,” they chanted.
“And how do we make Cultural Revolution?” she demanded.
“By destroying the American family!” they answered.
“How do we destroy the family?” she came back.
“By destroying the American Patriarch,” they cried exuberantly.
“And how do we destroy the American Patriarch?” she replied.
“By taking away his power!”
“How do we do that?”
“By destroying monogamy!” they shouted.
“How can we destroy monogamy?”
Their answer left me dumbstruck, breathless, disbelieving my ears. Was I on planet earth? Who were these people?
“By promoting promiscuity, eroticism, prostitution and homosexuality!” they resounded.
Surprise! You’re a target
Did you understand that if you are or intend to be a husband and a father — a patriarch — that you are also a target? According to the Marxist feminists, it would only be possible to supplant the culture of the United States by destroying the family as its central institution, and it would only be possible to destroy the family by destroying its spiritual head. That would be you and me.
Why are we talking about this?
I recognize that this is a bit off the normal track for this blog, but we have discussed the ongoing crisis in masculinity, and the need for us to become men who live out of our masculine strength. Now perhaps you see what is at stake. We always want to offer practical encouragement here, and this post is no different. If I sent you on an errand, and I knew there was danger along the route, I would tell you — consider this a friendly warning.
In the same way you wouldn’t enter a lacrosse game without your helmet, pads, gloves and stick (and, of course, your cup), you must go into today’s classrooms, workplaces and entertainments aware of the plan to destroy men. So consider the aim is to take you out, to neutralize your masculine strength, to render you powerless, impotent, emasculated and ineffective. Worst of all, the plan is not to overpower you, but to entice you into surrendering.
What time is it?
Men, it’s late. If you are in doubt about the effectiveness of this strategy, consider your own opinions and attitudes concerning promiscuity, eroticism, prostitution and homosexuality — and how they may have changed in the past ten years. Now consider the opinions and attitudes of your friends, classmates and colleagues. Next consider the messages concerning these four forces that you’ve encountered in classrooms, news articles and reports, in movies and television programs and in social media.
As you see, America has undergone a cataclysmic change in its mores since the consciousness-raising event attended by Mallory Millett.
Is it hopeless?
- Don’t take the bait — These weapons only work on you if you let them. Sexual sin is tempting, but recognize what’s behind it and take the long view.
- Clean up your diet — Don’t feed your mind with stories and images that undermine your masculine strength, or that promote your destruction.
- Audit the institutions you’re part of — Use your freedom of association to find, found or fund organizations that promote and value authentic masculinity. (This is why I’m on this corner of the internet, by the way.) If you need to change churches, employers, schools, vote with your feet. When you realize you’ve stepped onto the conveyor belt at the slaughterhouse, you have every right to step off of it.
- Enlist allies — find brothers who are committed to the same values. Not all women are on board with the destruction of the family. Find them. As I pointed out previously, the popularity of Fifty Shades of Grey — although promoting promiscuity and eroticism — repudiates Marxist feminism’s anti-masculine aims, since the audience seems keenly interested in a dominant man.
- Build your body and your mind — You are on your way to becoming the best possible version of yourself, aren’t you? You need strength to withstand the allure of temptation in every form.
- Challenge the assumptions — As you encounter these anti-male ideas, be prepared to question their origins and their legitimacy. Don’t be afraid to point out the consequences of four-plus decades of Marxist feminism and ask if we’re better off in any way.
- Reform your manners — English abolitionist, William Wilberforce, worked until the day he died for the abolition of slavery and for “the reformation of manners.” As men, we should take up this cause and make it our own. If you’re married, start by leading your family, even if it’s difficult. Let’s reform our own character after that of Jesus, and work to liberate men and women in the clutches of these destructive forces. Just by living fearlessly and unabashedly as a man, you’ll cause others to find their courage. We can do this with God’s help.